Parish History
Home Page
Lector
Ministers of the Eucharist
Parish Bulletin
Altar Servers
Christian Service
C.S.A. Pledging
Food Pantry
Funeral Luncheon
Music Ministry
Parish Staff
Parish Council
Parish Registration
Prayer Request List
Prayer Garden
Parish Photo Gallery
Rainbows
Religious Education
Rosary Altar Society
Sacramentals
Tuff Corner
Usher Club
 

St. Cyril of Jerusalem History

June, 1953:   St. Cyril of Jerusalem Parish was established in Taylor Township on Jackson Street on former farmland belonging to Frank Kolb.  Fr. Carlson Robideau was named as our Founding Pastor. Fr. Robideau was born in 1906 in Erie, Michigan. He was raised on a farm, one of 8 children. At age 15 he entered Sacred Heart Seminary and completed his education at St. Mary’s Seminary in Ohio. He was ordained a priest in 1934 .

July 10, 1953:   First mass was celebrated at Sudman School in Allen Park. Christian Mothers and Ushers organized to assist the parish.

August, 1953:  Sunday Masses are moved to Allen Park High School at 6:30 AM, 7:15 AM, 8AM, 9:30AM, and 12:30 PM

November 8, 1953:  Groundbreaking for St. Cyril Church to seat 1,000 persons. Cost: $125,000.

November 1953 - September 1954:  Church building erected. Inside of the Church was completed by Fr. Robideau and dedicated parishioners. "A Parish where everybody is working for one common cause is the dream that will come true in very near future.", Fr. Robideau.

September 26, 1954:  First Mass in the New Church; 1,600 people were present.

October 26, 1954:   Cardinal Mooney dedicated the church "Where people do so much of their own handiwork as you have put into the building of your church.... St. Cyril will be for long years the dwelling of God among you."

March, 1954:  Sisters of St. Joseph of Nazareth, Mi. pledge to send teaching sisters to start St. Cyril School. Catechism Classes held in Bennie School.

November 20, 1955:   Groundbreaking for St. Cyril School and Convent. Fr. Robideau and parishioners do much of the work.

September 5, 1956:    St. Cyril School opened - Grades 1-8.

October, 1975:     Fr. Robideau retires after 22 years as a Pastor.

November, 1975:   Fr. Edmund Borycz, Assistant to Fr. Robideau, is installed as Pastor.

January, 1977:  New Parish Center dedicated . . . many activities held there! Fifty and Up Club provides Seniors Activities.

June, 1977-78:  "Summer Jamboree Festivals"

August, 1978:  Fr. Robideau dies and is buried at our Lady of Hope.

1979-1980:    Renovation of St. Cyril Church.  

December 21, 1980:   Re-dedication of the Church by Bishop Schoenherr.

June, 1981:   Summer Festivals resume "Come Rain or Shine"

June 11, 1983:   Ordination of Deacon Dan Hurley and assignment to St. Cyril's.

June, 1989:       Fr. Ed Borycz is assigned U.S. Army Chaplain at Selfridge Air National Guard Base.

September 9, 1989:    Fr. Eugene Wojtewicz installed as St. Cyril's 3rd Pastor.

October 19, 1992:   Bill Thome is ordained a Deacon and will continue to serve at St. Cyril's. Deacon Bill has been training Parish Altar Boys since the Parish began in 1953.

1993:   St. Cyril's 40th Anniversary Year and Fr. Gary Morelli named as St. Cyril's 4th Pastor.

August, 2000:  St. Cyril School consolidated with St. Paschal and St. Constance to become Taylor Catholic School at St. Paschal's school.

2000:   Restoration 2003 Campaign for improvements to the Parish Convent Building, and paving of parking lot.

August 17, 2003:   50th Anniversary year with a new Pastor, Fr. Bernard Fraser, installed to lead St. Cyril of Jerusalem.

October 12, 2003:      Cardinal Adam Maida celebrates a 50th Anniversary Liturgy followed by a reception. Many former priests, teachers, parishioners and parish staff attend. Words from Cardinal Maida "The parish of St. Cyril is a vibrant community of faith. The founding pastor Fr. Robideau served for 22 years ; the current pastor Fr. Fraser has yet to make 22 weeks. While he's a rookie pastor, he brings with him a great, deep love for the people of God. You are gifted to have this young priest as your parish leader." 

January 9 - February 3, 2006: The new Sanctuary was created.

 

May, 2007:  Merger with St. Paschal Baylon announced.  Facility to be determined by transition committee.

November 25, 2007: St. Cyril of Jerusalem officially closed at 10:00 AM Mass.

 

St Paschal Baylon Heritage

St. Paschal Baylon Parish was formerly established by His Eminence Edward Cardinal Mooney, Archbishop of Detroit, on June 22, 1956.

The new parish was named for a Spanish Franciscan who was devoted to the Holy Eucharist.

The founding pastor was Rev. Francis P. Kozlowski who led the parish until 1970.

Succeeding pastors included: Fr. Thomas McNamara (1970-1974), Fr. Joseph Malloy (1974-1979), and Fr. William F. Fisher (1979-1993), all Oblates of St. Francis de Sales, Fr. Richard Macey (1993-1997), Fr. Robert Cislo (1997-2005), Fr. Andrew Czarnecki (2005-2007) and Fr. Bernard Fraser (2007 to closing).


On July 15, 1956, parishioners first assembled for Mass at Harmonia Park Hall (presently the Democratic Club).

Beginning December 2, 1956 Sunday and Holyday Masses were held at Blair Moody School.

On January 1, 1957, after a noon Mass, ground was broken for the present church and social hall.

On September 8, 1957, the feast of the Nativity of Mary, the first Mass was celebrated in the new, but still incomplete structure.

On the Feast of Christ the King, October 27, 1957, the first Solemn Mass was celebrated at 11:00 AM After the Mass, the cornerstone was blessed and set by Msgr. Tobias G. Morin, Dean of the Southwest Deanery.


In 1964, the parish school, under the direction of the Sisters of St. Joseph, was opened with grades one through six. Unfortunately, due to decreasing enrollment and financial difficulties, the school closed in 1972.

In 1981, the 25th year of the parish, history was made by beginning the project of re-opening the parish school. On August 30, 1982, St. Paschal school reopened with over 180 students in grades K through seven. The eighth grade was added the following year. The new faculty included IHM Sisters and lay teachers, with Sister Patrice as principal. She was succeeded by Sister Patricia who later became the CCD Coordinator. Sister Patricia’s successor was Mr. Carl Weiss.

August, 2000:  St. Cyril School consolidated with St. Paschal and St. Constance to become Taylor Catholic School!

June, 2006:  Taylor Catholic School closed.

November 24, 2007:  St. Paschal Baylon officially closed at 5:30 PM Mass.

Our Lady of the Angels

December 01, 2007: Church is consecrated by Bishop Reiss at 4:00 PM mass.  A new parish is opened as Our Lady of the Angels at former St. Cyril facility with Fr. Bernard Fraser installed as Pastor.

July 1, 2009: Fr. Dariusz Strzalkowski installed as second Pastor of Our Lady of the Angels.

                                                For information or questions you can contact the webmaster.